13 shot in 30 minutes in rising Chicago violence
CHICAGO (AP) - August 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say 13 people were shot and wounded in a 30-minute spate of violence in Chicago, including eight gunned down on a single street.
Authorities have been battling an increase in homicides in the city where some aldermen complain gangs have no fear of the police.
Police say a drive-by shooting on Chicago's South Side late Thursday wounded seven men and one woman ranging in age from 14 to 20 years. Two of the victims were taken to Comer Children's Hospital. Most are in stable condition. Police say the 19-year-old woman wounded was shot in the arm while walking to work.
Five people were wounded in three other shootings around the same time.
Police say 19 people were shot in Chicago on Thursday night and early Friday.
shooting, chicago, national/world
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 5 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
5 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
4 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos