13 shot in 30 minutes in rising Chicago violence
CHICAGO (AP) - August 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say 13 people were shot and wounded in a 30-minute spate of violence in Chicago, including eight gunned down on a single street.
Authorities have been battling an increase in homicides in the city where some aldermen complain gangs have no fear of the police.
Police say a drive-by shooting on Chicago's South Side late Thursday wounded seven men and one woman ranging in age from 14 to 20 years. Two of the victims were taken to Comer Children's Hospital. Most are in stable condition. Police say the 19-year-old woman wounded was shot in the arm while walking to work.
Five people were wounded in three other shootings around the same time.
Police say 19 people were shot in Chicago on Thursday night and early Friday.
shooting, chicago, national/world
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Another Beauty 43 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 40 min ago
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly 14 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
40 min ago