NYC gunman's mom: Police justified in killing him
NEW YORK (AP) - August 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The mother of the gunman in the Empire State Building shooting says she doesn't blame police for killing him, but she still thinks of him as kind-hearted and caring.
Jeffrey Johnson's mother also told The New York Times http://bit.ly/TmN1Cq on Monday that her son said his life was "diminished tenfold" after his beloved cat died.
The Times says she asked that her first name and the town in Georgia where she lives be withheld to protect her privacy.
She says her son learned to be an expert marksman while serving in the Coast Guard.
She says the NYPD was justified in shooting her son because he killed somebody. But, she says, "for me, he hasn't changed."
Johnson fatally shot a co-worker. He was killed in a hail of police bullets.
new york city, new york, shooting, national/world
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- NASA orders urgent spacewalk repairs at station