NYC gunman's mom: Police justified in killing him
NEW YORK (AP) - August 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The mother of the gunman in the Empire State Building shooting says she doesn't blame police for killing him, but she still thinks of him as kind-hearted and caring.
Jeffrey Johnson's mother also told The New York Times http://bit.ly/TmN1Cq on Monday that her son said his life was "diminished tenfold" after his beloved cat died.
The Times says she asked that her first name and the town in Georgia where she lives be withheld to protect her privacy.
She says her son learned to be an expert marksman while serving in the Coast Guard.
She says the NYPD was justified in shooting her son because he killed somebody. But, she says, "for me, he hasn't changed."
Johnson fatally shot a co-worker. He was killed in a hail of police bullets.
new york city, new york, shooting, national/world
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 10 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 8 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad