2 charged in death of NY girl, 5, appear in court
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (AP) - August 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two teenagers charged in connection with the death of a 5-year-old upstate New York girl have been arraigned.
Sixteen-year-old John Freeman and 18-year-old Tyler Best appeared in Niagara Falls City Court on Tuesday, about 24 hours after Isabella Tennant's body was found dumped in a trash can.
Freeman is charged with second-degree murder. Police say Best led them to the body. He has been charged with evidence tampering.
A judge entered not-guilty pleas on behalf of both teens. A court clerk says they were sent to jail and ordered back in court Sept. 7.
Police haven't said how Isabella was killed. An autopsy was being done Tuesday.
Isabella had been spending the night at her great-grandmother's Niagara Falls home.
Messages left with Niagara County Attorney Michael Violante weren't returned.
child death, new york, national/world
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run