Haiti death toll climbs after Tropical Storm Isaac
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - August 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Haitian government says at least 24 people have died in accidents related to Tropical Storm Isaac.
Haiti's Civil Protection Office said in a report Tuesday that the bulk of the deaths happened in the southeastern and western departments of the country.
Some of the victims were electrocuted and others died after objects fell on them. Three people are missing.
The death toll has steadily increased in Haiti after Tropical Storm Isaac passed over the southern part of the country Saturday and caused extensive flooding.
Haiti's mountains are heavily deforested and so the country is prone to mudslides that sometimes turn fatal.
The new deaths put the total death toll of Isaac at 29. Five people died in the neighboring Dominican Republic.
haiti, hurricanes and tropical storms, national/world
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney 3 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight 36 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Woman hospitalized in West Oak Lane fire 34 min ago
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing 47 min ago
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
3 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
36 min ago