Shark bites surfer on hand along Florida coast
MELBOURNE BEACH, Fla. (AP) - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- A surfer along Florida's coast is recovering after he was bitten on the hand by a shark.
The 32-year-old man told authorities he was paddling out at Melbourne Beach along the Atlantic Coast when he put his hand in the water and felt a bite.
His hand was treated by paramedics at the beach, and he didn't need to be taken to a hospital.
University of Florida shark expert George Burgess says the United States has had 30 unprovoked shark attacks, with half of them in Florida.
The surfer was not identified by authorities.
florida, shark attack, national/world
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 36 min ago
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Teen wounded in Point Breeze shooting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Protests overshadow Mayor's budget address
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
36 min ago