Arizona woman swept away in flooding found dead
MARANA, Ariz. (AP) - September 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- A woman who was swept away in a flooded southern Arizona wash during heavy monsoon rains was found dead Friday, authorities said.
Pima County Sheriff's officials said the body of 52-year-old Angelina Carrasco was recovered from her car, which was found upside down and partially submerged in a flooded wash north of Tucson.
Multiple law enforcement and fire agencies had searched by air and ground for hours for Carrasco, whose husband was injured in the incident.
Sheriff's spokesman Tom Peine said deputies got a call from a motorist stuck in a wash early Friday. The man, who was able to get out, said he heard another man yelling for help and saying his legs were broken.
Rescuers in the Marana community found that man on a sand bank surrounded by water around 6 a.m. He told them he had been there for hours but his wife had been swept away. The man in his 60s was taken to a hospital for treatment of a fractured pelvis, according to authorities.
Three other vehicles were found in a wash nearby, but the occupants were safe, Tucson TV station KVOA reported. Meanwhile, several drivers had to be pulled from their cars in the Phoenix suburbs of Mesa and Apache Junction by fire crews.
The National Weather Service issued flash flood warnings Friday for parts of Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix.
A stretch of the U.S. 60 freeway in the area was inundated, with drivers having to cross flowing water and traffic backed up for more than a mile.
severe weather, arizona, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 45 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 12 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 15 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball