Police: Officer fatally shot in suburban Detroit
WEST BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. - September 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man suspected in the fatal shooting of a 12-year veteran police officer barricaded himself inside a suburban Detroit home Monday morning as police surrounded the area, authorities said.
The officer, a married father of four, was shot and killed about 10: 00 p.m. Sunday as he entered a home in the Oakland County community of West Bloomfield Township, police Lt. Timothy Diamond told the Detroit Free Press.
Police closed roads in the area and nearby homes were evacuated Monday morning as officers surrounded the property.
"It's a terrible day," Diamond said.
The shooting happened as officers responded to a report of shots being fired inside the home, the newspaper reported.
"Initially there were other family members there, but they had left before officers arrived," Diamond said. "Officers went into the house and were met with gunfire."
The Oakland County sheriff's department said Monday morning that its SWAT team was on the scene.
Diamond did not immediately respond to an Associated Press reporter's calls for comment Monday morning.
michigan, detroit, police officer killed, national/world
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend 48 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- More cases dismissed against fmr. Phila. cop 12 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila. after-hours club
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
48 min ago