Police: Officer fatally shot in suburban Detroit
WEST BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. - September 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man suspected in the fatal shooting of a 12-year veteran police officer barricaded himself inside a suburban Detroit home Monday morning as police surrounded the area, authorities said.
The officer, a married father of four, was shot and killed about 10: 00 p.m. Sunday as he entered a home in the Oakland County community of West Bloomfield Township, police Lt. Timothy Diamond told the Detroit Free Press.
Police closed roads in the area and nearby homes were evacuated Monday morning as officers surrounded the property.
"It's a terrible day," Diamond said.
The shooting happened as officers responded to a report of shots being fired inside the home, the newspaper reported.
"Initially there were other family members there, but they had left before officers arrived," Diamond said. "Officers went into the house and were met with gunfire."
The Oakland County sheriff's department said Monday morning that its SWAT team was on the scene.
Diamond did not immediately respond to an Associated Press reporter's calls for comment Monday morning.
michigan, detroit, police officer killed, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
9 min ago