China construction elevator falls; 19 workers die
BEIJING (AP) - September 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A platform elevator at a construction site in southern China has dropped 30 floors in a free fall, killing 19 workers.
The official Xinhua News Agency says the accident happened Thursday in Wuhan city in Hubei province.
A government notice posted by local Wuhan newspapers on their official microblogging sites says the elevator fell 100 meters (328 feet).
It says the municipal government is halting all construction in Wuhan for security checks.
Work safety is a big problem in China, where regulations are routinely ignored. Although the government says it is taking measures to reduce fatalities, more than 75,500 people died in work-related accidents last year, according to the State Administration of Work Safety.
accident, china, national/world
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 51 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 1 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
51 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
1 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos