Twitter hands over records in NY Occupy case
NEW YORK (AP) - September 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Twitter has handed over about three months' worth of an Occupy Wall Street protester's tweets to a judge in a criminal trial.
The social networking site had been threatened with steep fines if it did not comply with Judge Matthew Sciarrino Jr.'s order earlier this summer to turn over the records in the case of Malcolm Harris.
The tweets were handed over Friday.
The Manhattan district attorney's office says Harris' messages could show whether he was aware of the police orders he's charged with disregarding. The case involved a protest at the Brooklyn Bridge last fall.
Twitter had said the case could put it in the position of having to take on legal fights that users could otherwise conduct on their own.
Harris' trial begins in December. He has pleaded not guilty.
twitter, occupy movement, national/world
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 46 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp. 38 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 2 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
33 min ago