Washington state man gets 6 months for beating dog
TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - September 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Washington state man who beat a neighbor's dog with a hatchet after luring it with treats has been sentenced to six months in jail.
The Pierce County prosecutor's office says 55-year-old Ricky Knowles was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty in July to first-degree animal cruelty.
Prosecutors say Orting police were called after neighbors saw the Pierce County man beat the dog in March. They say police found the dog - Kona - in Knowles' garage tied to a pole, bleeding from severe wounds to his head and neck. They say animal control officers had to cut a piece of wire from around the dog's neck.
Dog owner Sam Hokanson says Knowles had complained about the dog's barking, but the men had spoken and Hokanson thought they had come to an agreement.
Prosecutors had asked for a 12-month sentence.
washington, animal abuse, national/world
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 6 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- 'GMA' promotes Lara Spencer to co-host 5 min ago