Washington state man gets 6 months for beating dog
TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - September 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Washington state man who beat a neighbor's dog with a hatchet after luring it with treats has been sentenced to six months in jail.
The Pierce County prosecutor's office says 55-year-old Ricky Knowles was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty in July to first-degree animal cruelty.
Prosecutors say Orting police were called after neighbors saw the Pierce County man beat the dog in March. They say police found the dog - Kona - in Knowles' garage tied to a pole, bleeding from severe wounds to his head and neck. They say animal control officers had to cut a piece of wire from around the dog's neck.
Dog owner Sam Hokanson says Knowles had complained about the dog's barking, but the men had spoken and Hokanson thought they had come to an agreement.
Prosecutors had asked for a 12-month sentence.
washington, animal abuse, national/world
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids