LA mayor declares 'Carmageddon II' a success
LOS ANGELES (AP) - September 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- The mayor of Los Angeles is calling "Carmageddon II," the sequel to last year's shutdown of one of the nation's busiest freeways, a success.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa says bridgework that forced the shutdown of Interstate 405 is completed and lanes will reopen as planned Monday morning.
A similar closure occurred last year to demolish portions of the Mulholland Drive bridge to allow construction of an additional freeway lane. Like last year, city residents heeded calls to stay off the road and the weekend traffic was light.
Villaraigosa says his hope and expectations for a "Carmaheaven" came true. He thanked drivers for their cooperation and called them the real stars of the sequel.
los angeles, california, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 59 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 40 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ