Bad breakup blamed in Calif lingerie store arson
DANA POINT, Calif. (AP) - October 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a California woman believed to be distraught over a breakup was charged with trying to torch a lingerie store where her ex-boyfriend bought underthings.
Prosecutors say 42-year-old Jennifer Colwell pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to felony arson.
Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino says Colwell was apparently distraught over the failed relationship.
KCBS-TV says the breakup led Colwell to stuff a pillowcase with gifts her ex bought at Intimate Obsessions.
Investigators say she then went to the Dana Point store early Tuesday, soaked the pillowcase in gasoline and set it on fire in an attempt to burn down the business.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze before it spread to the lingerie store.
arson, california, national/world
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 35 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 55 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 4 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 35 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 7 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 10 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 28 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 10 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
55 min ago