Tropical Storm Rafael dumps rain in east Caribbean
MIAMI - October 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Tropical Storm Rafael lashed the Leeward Islands with heavy rains Sunday, threatening to strengthen into a hurricane within a day, U.S.-based forecasters said.
The storm was centered at 8 a.m. EDT Sunday about 100 miles (165 kilometers) north-northwest of St. Martin and was gradually moving away from the Virgin Islands, the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said. Rafael had top sustained winds of 50 mph (85 kph) and was moving north-northwest at 12 mph (19 kph).
Forecasters said Rafael could become a hurricane by Monday, adding interests in Bermuda should monitor Rafael's progress. The center's advisory said a tropical storm or hurricane watch may be required for Bermuda sometime Sunday.
A tropical storm warning has been discontinued for Anguilla. Earlier Sunday, a tropical storm watch was discontinued for Puerto Rico.
Rafael could dump rainfall totaling between 3 and 5 inches on some islands and possibly up to 10 inches in isolated spots over the lesser Antilles and the Virgin Islands, raising the threat of flooding, forecasters said. Potentially heavy rains could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides, particularly in mountainous terrain, the hurricane center said.
Forecasters also warned of possibly dangerous surf churned up by Rafael.
Tropical storm-force winds extended outward up to 175 miles (280 kms) from the center of Rafael, mainly to the northeast and east of the system, forecasters said.
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, national/world
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 58 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 42 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
58 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
48 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos