Gay man sues Ky. jail, says inmate bit his nose
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - October 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- An incarcerated gay man is suing a southern Kentucky jail and a fellow inmate, claiming the prisoner bit off part of his nose after days of harassment.
Brandon Milam said in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that he was disfigured, lost his sense of smell and remains in pain from the July attack in the Warren County Regional Jail.
Milam is seeking unspecified damages. He has sued the jail, its top official, the county and the accused attacker, Timothy Schwartz. He faces an assault charge.
The gay rights group Kentucky Equality Federation is urging federal authorities to pursue the case as a hate crime.
Milam was jailed for violating probation after a guilty plea to felony theft.
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 54 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ