ND man sells McJordan barbecue sauce for $10,000
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - October 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man who used to own McDonald's restaurants in North Dakota is about $10,000 richer after selling a 20-year-old container of McJordan barbecue sauce to a buyer in Chicago.
The sauce was used on McJordan Burgers, named for basketball icon Michael Jordan. The promotional item was sold in limited markets for a short time in the 1990s, when Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships.
Mort Bank, of Bismarck, saved the gallon jug of sauce after selling his McDonald's restaurants in Bismarck-Mandan and Minot in 1996.
"It was in my basement and I would look at it occasionally," he told The Bismarck Tribune. "I thought it would be worth something someday."
Bank advertised the sauce on eBay, saying: "A once in a lifetime chance to own the rarest of rare Michael Jordan and McDonald's collectible!" It sold for $9,995 Monday night to a buyer from Chicago whom Bank has not identified.
Bank told the Chicago Tribune that the buyer was not Jordan himself. Jordan opened a steakhouse in Chicago last year.
"I'm sure he's a Bulls or Michael Jordan fan, and hopefully he's not going to put it on his ribs or his burger," Bank told KXMB-TV of the buyer. "But it's up to him; he can do whatever he wants with it."
Bank said he has at least three storage units full of McDonald's memorabilia and other collector's items that he has been selling on eBay for three years. He has sold items to buyers as far away as China, Japan, Brazil and Europe, though never for as much money as the sauce garnered.
"I'm pretty ecstatic," he told the Bismarck Tribune. "You never know what is going to be a hot item."
chicago, north dakota, michael jordan, national/world
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday 57 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 39 min ago
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3 54 min ago
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station 13 min ago
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall 6 min ago
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Bitter Blast Thursday
57 min ago
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
54 min ago
- Woman digs her way out of locked bathroom
51 min ago
- Police: Camden Man robbed 5 banks in 1 month
55 min ago