Deputy shoots suspect in hospital emergency room
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) - October 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a jail inmate suspected of drug use was shot to death in a hospital emergency room after he grabbed a gun from a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy.
The 27-year-old man was pronounced dead at Centinela Hospital Medical Center early Thursday.
Sheriff's Lt. Holly Francisco said the man, whose name was not immediately released, had one wrist handcuffed to a gurney in a triage room with two deputies when he suddenly grabbed the gun from one officer's belt. She says another deputy fired a shot that killed him.
No one else was hurt.
The man had been arrested Wednesday for investigation of possessing a controlled substance.
While jailed at the South Los Angeles station, the man complained of feeling ill and was taken to the hospital.
california, shopping, national/world
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 32 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 8 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 5 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 11 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- 2 injured after vehicle hits sinkhole in...
34 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos