Deputy shoots suspect in hospital emergency room
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) - October 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a jail inmate suspected of drug use was shot to death in a hospital emergency room after he grabbed a gun from a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy.
The 27-year-old man was pronounced dead at Centinela Hospital Medical Center early Thursday.
Sheriff's Lt. Holly Francisco said the man, whose name was not immediately released, had one wrist handcuffed to a gurney in a triage room with two deputies when he suddenly grabbed the gun from one officer's belt. She says another deputy fired a shot that killed him.
No one else was hurt.
The man had been arrested Wednesday for investigation of possessing a controlled substance.
While jailed at the South Los Angeles station, the man complained of feeling ill and was taken to the hospital.
california, shopping, national/world
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 44 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014