Police: Man tried to extort $15K from ex-Steeler
PITTSBURGH (AP) - October 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a man who tried to extort $15,000 from retired Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has been arrested.
Allegheny County prosecutors say 26-year-old Joshua Van Auker was arrested Thursday after trying to extort the money through one of Ward's personal assistants. They say Van Auker threatened to release information alleging Ward had paid women for sex.
An affidavit says the assistant gave Van Auker money provided by law enforcement.
Van Auker was arrested by Allegheny County detectives. He's awaiting arraignment. It's unclear if he has an attorney. No telephone listing for him can be found.
Ward was MVP when the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2006. He retired in March after 14 seasons with Pittsburgh.
hines ward, pittsburgh steelers, national/world
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla
- AccuWeather: Damp and cooler 47 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Probe into Conn. train crash giving way to cleanup 38 min ago
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in 28 min ago
- American Cancer Society celebrates 100 years 49 min ago
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list