Police: Man tried to extort $15K from ex-Steeler
PITTSBURGH (AP) - October 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a man who tried to extort $15,000 from retired Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has been arrested.
Allegheny County prosecutors say 26-year-old Joshua Van Auker was arrested Thursday after trying to extort the money through one of Ward's personal assistants. They say Van Auker threatened to release information alleging Ward had paid women for sex.
An affidavit says the assistant gave Van Auker money provided by law enforcement.
Van Auker was arrested by Allegheny County detectives. He's awaiting arraignment. It's unclear if he has an attorney. No telephone listing for him can be found.
Ward was MVP when the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2006. He retired in March after 14 seasons with Pittsburgh.
hines ward, pittsburgh steelers, national/world
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 45 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 38 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 44 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 42 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
37 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater...
45 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos