Police: Teen arrested in killing of Colorado girl
WESTMINSTER, Colo. (AP) - October 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- A teenage boy who lived about five miles from a 10-year-old Colorado girl who was abducted and killed earlier this month has been arrested in her death, along with an attack on a runner in May, police said Wednesday.
Police in the Denver suburb of Westminster said they arrested 17-year-old Austin Reed Sigg after getting a tip that led them to a home Tuesday night.
Sigg's residence is about five miles from the home of Jessica Ridgeway, who disappeared Oct. 5 after leaving for school. Her body was found five days later in a field at a park.
"We worked on this case nonstop, around the clock, since Oct. 5, the day of her abduction," Police Chief Lee Birk said at news conference. "I believe we've made a significant step towards justice for Jessica."
The break in the case comes two days after police said Jessica's abduction was linked to the May 28 attempted abduction of a 22-year-old runner at another park, the Ketner Lake Open Space. Police say their tip led them to a home near that park, which is close to Jessica's school.
Sigg will be charged in both cases. His first court appearance is set for 8 a.m. Thursday.
Reached by phone Wednesday, Sigg's mother told The Associated Press he turned himself in.
"I made the phone call, and he turned himself in. That's all I have to say," said Mindy Sigg, before she broke down in tears and hung up the phone.
Police said they notified the Ridgeway family of the arrest Wednesday morning.
"We hope and pray that this arrest brings them some measure of closure in dealing with this enormous loss that they've suffered," Birk said.
colorado, child luring, child death, abduction, national/world
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J.
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos