Marco Rubio daughter hospitalized after accident
LAKEWOOD CREST, Fla. (AP) - October 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- The 12-year-old daughter of Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has been airlifted to Miami Children's Hospital after a Saturday motor vehicle accident.
The Republican senator was notified of the accident while coming off stage after a rally with GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney Saturday afternoon.
A Rubio spokesman reported Saturday evening that Amanda Rubio was in fair condition.
The senator campaigned with Romney at two Florida rallies on Saturday and was scheduled to attend a third before being picked up by a state police cruiser along Romney's motorcade route.
Rubio spokesman Alex Conant wrote in an email late Saturday that Amanda, who is the senator's oldest daughter, was injured that afternoon.
"While visiting with classmates, she was a passenger on a golf cart involved in a collision in a private gated community," Conant wrote. "She was airlifted to Miami Children's Hospital with a head injury. She has been admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. She is in fair condition.
"Senator and Mrs. Rubio are grateful for all the outpouring of support and prayers," he added, including calls from President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden and a personal message from Romney.
According to The Miami Herald, a Romney spokeswoman said, "Governor Romney spoke with Senator Rubio and expressed his concern and hope for Amanda Rubio's quick recovery."
Miami-Dade County Commissioner Rebeca Sosa, a family friend, said outside the hospital that Amanda had suffered a concussion but was doing better, according to video posted on The Herald's website.
Sosa said the senator and his family were with Amanda at the hospital.
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 34 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 10 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
34 min ago