Marco Rubio daughter hospitalized after accident
LAKEWOOD CREST, Fla. (AP) - October 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- The 12-year-old daughter of Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has been airlifted to Miami Children's Hospital after a Saturday motor vehicle accident.
The Republican senator was notified of the accident while coming off stage after a rally with GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney Saturday afternoon.
A Rubio spokesman reported Saturday evening that Amanda Rubio was in fair condition.
The senator campaigned with Romney at two Florida rallies on Saturday and was scheduled to attend a third before being picked up by a state police cruiser along Romney's motorcade route.
Rubio spokesman Alex Conant wrote in an email late Saturday that Amanda, who is the senator's oldest daughter, was injured that afternoon.
"While visiting with classmates, she was a passenger on a golf cart involved in a collision in a private gated community," Conant wrote. "She was airlifted to Miami Children's Hospital with a head injury. She has been admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. She is in fair condition.
"Senator and Mrs. Rubio are grateful for all the outpouring of support and prayers," he added, including calls from President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden and a personal message from Romney.
According to The Miami Herald, a Romney spokeswoman said, "Governor Romney spoke with Senator Rubio and expressed his concern and hope for Amanda Rubio's quick recovery."
Miami-Dade County Commissioner Rebeca Sosa, a family friend, said outside the hospital that Amanda had suffered a concussion but was doing better, according to video posted on The Herald's website.
Sosa said the senator and his family were with Amanda at the hospital.
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes 10 min ago
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
30 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos