Halloween-colored lobster caught off Mass. coast
BOSTON (AP) - Octoer 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Massachusetts fisherman has caught a creepy-looking lobster that's colored to match Halloween.
The New England Aquarium says the 1-pound female lobster has an orange side and a black side, with the colors split perfectly down the middle.
Marine officials say such coloration is estimated to occur once in every 50 million lobsters.
The fisherman who caught the seasonally colored crustacean in a trap last week is from Beverly, a seaside community 20 miles northeast of Boston.
The rare lobster is known as a split. Aquarium officials said Wednesday splits have been caught in Maine, Rhode Island and Nova Scotia in the last 10 years.
halloween, boston, massachusetts, national/world
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 23 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser 6 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
23 min ago