Halloween-colored lobster caught off Mass. coast
BOSTON (AP) - Octoer 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Massachusetts fisherman has caught a creepy-looking lobster that's colored to match Halloween.
The New England Aquarium says the 1-pound female lobster has an orange side and a black side, with the colors split perfectly down the middle.
Marine officials say such coloration is estimated to occur once in every 50 million lobsters.
The fisherman who caught the seasonally colored crustacean in a trap last week is from Beverly, a seaside community 20 miles northeast of Boston.
The rare lobster is known as a split. Aquarium officials said Wednesday splits have been caught in Maine, Rhode Island and Nova Scotia in the last 10 years.
halloween, boston, massachusetts, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 23 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 30 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 42 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 3 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 9 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Saving with 6abc: Bridal savings 22 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
42 min ago