Halloween-colored lobster caught off Mass. coast
BOSTON (AP) - Octoer 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Massachusetts fisherman has caught a creepy-looking lobster that's colored to match Halloween.
The New England Aquarium says the 1-pound female lobster has an orange side and a black side, with the colors split perfectly down the middle.
Marine officials say such coloration is estimated to occur once in every 50 million lobsters.
The fisherman who caught the seasonally colored crustacean in a trap last week is from Beverly, a seaside community 20 miles northeast of Boston.
The rare lobster is known as a split. Aquarium officials said Wednesday splits have been caught in Maine, Rhode Island and Nova Scotia in the last 10 years.
halloween, boston, massachusetts, national/world
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load