Disney Company commits $2 million to Sandy relief
BURBANK, Calif., - November 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Walt Disney Company announced today a $2 million cash commitment to the relief and rebuilding efforts for those severely impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
One million dollars will be donated to the American Red Cross for immediate, critical assistance, and another $1 million will be designated for organizations working on rebuilding efforts.
In addition, Cast Member and employee eligible donations to organizations involved in disaster relief will be matched, dollar for dollar, by Disney Employee Matching Gifts: A Program of The Walt Disney Company Foundation.
"It's hard to fathom the devastation from this storm," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "Thousands of people in the hurricane's path lost everything and face the daunting challenge of putting their lives and communities back together. We hope this helps provide immediate aid needed to get through this disaster and begin the road to recovery."
In addition to financial assistance, Disney-ABC Television Group and ESPN will run public service announcements on ABC, ABC.com, ABCNews.com, Radio Disney, and ESPN's family of networks encouraging viewers to support relief and rebuilding efforts.
Thursday's announcement is part of Disney's ongoing disaster preparedness and response program.
As a proud sponsor of the American Red Cross Annual Disaster Giving Program, Disney provides support for disaster relief services, as well as comfort and hope to children in impacted communities.
disney, abc, 6abc, hurricane sandy, california, national/world
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 24 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 35 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 32 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 31 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money 1 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 48 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 22 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
48 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
24 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with...
35 min ago