Dad arrested after toddler found in cage
OKLAHOMA CITY - November 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Tulsa, Oklahoma man was arrested after police found his 18-month-old daughter locked in a metal dog cage, his naked 4-year old daughter outside on a cold afternoon and him asleep in a drug or alcohol "induced stupor," police said Monday.
A neighbor called police after finding the older child outside the family's home and getting no response when he knocked on the door around 4 p.m. Sunday, as temperatures dropped to the low 40s. Officers' knocks also went unanswered, "then one of the officers looked inside and saw a small child in a dog cage," Tulsa police spokesman Officer Leland Ashley said.
After forcing their way inside, police discovered the toddler was covered in feces and that a 3-year-old child was asleep in another room. Their father was found asleep on a bed, "in an alcohol- or narcotics-induced stupor," Ashley said.
The three children were placed into the custody of the Department of Human Services, and the father was arrested on a child neglect complaint. The Associated Press is not naming the father so to protect the identity of the children, who showed no sign of physical injury, Ashley said.
Their mother had been at work and arrived as officers were preparing to leave the scene. She was not arrested and her name was not released, Ashley said.
"A citizen was concerned, he heard a small child crying outside for about 20 minutes. He went outside to investigate and found the 4-year-old child," he said. "You have to give credit to that neighbor who acted and did not ignore the situation."
Messages left for the department and the Tulsa County District Attorney's Office went unreturned Monday, a federal holiday.
The father was being held in the Tulsa County jail on $50,000 bond and his court date of Nov. 19, according to online jail records. No attorney was listed for him. He also had no listed telephone number.
A man by the same name and the same birth date was given a suspended sentence in August after pleading guilty to possession of a precursor to manufacture methamphetamine.
Information from: KOTV-TV
oklahoma, child abuse, national/world
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 6 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 27 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 29 min ago
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 9 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 39 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 32 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 19 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 38 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 40 min ago
- Video: Pa. contender iin Sriracha search for new... 29 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
6 min ago
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
22 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
27 min ago