Ill. boy, 9, charged in toddler's beating death
BELLEVILLE, Ill. (AP) - November 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 9-year-old boy has been charged with first-degree murder in the beating death of a toddler in a St. Louis suburb.
Associate Judge Walter Brandon on Thursday ordered the Illinois Department of Human Services to take custody of the child, who was charged as a juvenile in the Aug. 22 death of the 14-month-old boy in Cahokia.
Defense attorney Bill Walker said the boy's mother and grandmother both died years ago and that the other adults in his life were detained after being charged with child endangerment. The Belleville News Democrat reports that prosecutors alleged those three adults left the toddler unsupervised with four other children.
The judge ordered that the child undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Walker argued that the issue was his age, not his mental state.
illinois, child death, homicide, national/world
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run