Ill. boy, 9, charged in toddler's beating death
BELLEVILLE, Ill. (AP) - November 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 9-year-old boy has been charged with first-degree murder in the beating death of a toddler in a St. Louis suburb.
Associate Judge Walter Brandon on Thursday ordered the Illinois Department of Human Services to take custody of the child, who was charged as a juvenile in the Aug. 22 death of the 14-month-old boy in Cahokia.
Defense attorney Bill Walker said the boy's mother and grandmother both died years ago and that the other adults in his life were detained after being charged with child endangerment. The Belleville News Democrat reports that prosecutors alleged those three adults left the toddler unsupervised with four other children.
The judge ordered that the child undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Walker argued that the issue was his age, not his mental state.
illinois, child death, homicide, national/world
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 44 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 43 min ago