Ill. boy, 9, charged in toddler's beating death
BELLEVILLE, Ill. (AP) - November 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 9-year-old boy has been charged with first-degree murder in the beating death of a toddler in a St. Louis suburb.
Associate Judge Walter Brandon on Thursday ordered the Illinois Department of Human Services to take custody of the child, who was charged as a juvenile in the Aug. 22 death of the 14-month-old boy in Cahokia.
Defense attorney Bill Walker said the boy's mother and grandmother both died years ago and that the other adults in his life were detained after being charged with child endangerment. The Belleville News Democrat reports that prosecutors alleged those three adults left the toddler unsupervised with four other children.
The judge ordered that the child undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Walker argued that the issue was his age, not his mental state.
illinois, child death, homicide, national/world
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man