Police: Customer at NM gun shop accidentally shot
SILVER CITY, N.M. (AP) - November 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- An employee at a New Mexico gun shop who was unloading a handgun accidentally shot and wounded a customer in the back, authorities said Wednesday.
The 65-year-old customer, who has not been identified, was airlifted from Silver City to an El Paso, Texas, hospital after the shooting on Tuesday and was listed in good condition, police Capt. Steve Reese said.
The shooting occurred at Copper Country Sporting Arms and involved a .45 caliber handgun, Reese said.
"It was pretty unusual," he said. "We hadn't seen any signs of foul play or anything like that."
Reese said the case had been handed over to prosecutors who will make a decision on whether any charges should be filed.
The name of the employee was not released.
A person who answered the phone Wednesday at Copper Country said the store would not comment.
The store is listed on Silver City's tourism website as a shop that sells guns, ammunition, bows, archery supplies and related sporting goods.
Reese said the store has not had any previous problems.
Silver City is located in southwestern New Mexico.
shooting, new mexico, national/world
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens to distant waters 23 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 29 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 8 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos