Mass. natural gas explosion damaged 42 buildings
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - November 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Building inspectors assessing homes and businesses in western Massachusetts' largest city after a natural gas explosion says the blast damaged more than 40 buildings.
The Friday evening explosion in Springfield leveled a strip club next to a day care. It injured 18 people, many of them emergency workers. Their injuries aren't life-threatening.
The explosion occurred an hour after gas company workers arrived to investigate a possible gas leak in the area that's 90 miles west of Boston.
Authorities cordoned off the center of the explosion Saturday. Building inspectors say preliminary findings showed the blast damaged 42 buildings housing 115 residential units. Three buildings were immediately condemned.
Punta Cana restaurant manager Omar Fermin says the explosion shattered the business' floor-to-ceiling windows and made the area look like an earthquake zone.
explosion, massachusetts, national/world
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Turning Milder 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 14 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 35 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Person injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 33 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp. 37 min ago
- NJ Transit bus crashes into building, 9 injured 25 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 27 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
35 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
29 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos