2 children among 4 dead in Calif. highway crash
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - November 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two children were among four people killed when a car collided with a minivan on a rural Northern California highway, authorities said.
Five other people were hurt when a Toyota Prius crossed the center line on Highway 50 near Placerville around Saturday night and struck a Toyota Sienna minivan "broadside," said California Highway Patrol spokesman Officer John Frizzell.
Three people in the Prius - a 39-year-old man driving the car, a woman and a child - were killed in the crash, Frizzell said. Another child in the car suffered moderate injuries. Three of the dead lived in the San Francisco Bay area.
Of the five people in the minivan, a 4-year-old girl was killed, Frizzell said. The four others - the 35-year-old female driver, a 51-year-old man and two 1-year-olds suffered minor to moderate injuries. No names were released.
"We don't know what caused the Prius to cross into oncoming traffic," Frizzell said Sunday. "There's an infinite number of possibilities."
Investigators have pulled computers from both vehicles that would indicate how fast they were going at the time of the crash, but collecting that information would probably take days, Frizzell said.
The highway where the crash took place is just outside of Placerville, about 45 miles east of Sacramento. The highway has two lanes, with minor to moderate curves, and with a speed limit of 65 miles per hour, Frizzell said.
california, accident, national/world
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos