89 workers injured in Singapore shipyard accident
SINGAPORE (AP) - December 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials say 89 workers have been injured, some seriously, in an accident at a Singapore shipyard.
The Ministry of Manpower says the accident occurred Monday on an oil exploration rig being built by Jurong Shipyard Pte. Ltd.
The rig consists of a platform on three legs that can be raised or lowered. A shipyard spokeswoman says one of the legs failed to operate when workers were testing the rig, causing it to tilt to one side.
The ministry says the injured workers were taken to hospitals and 80 were later discharged. Three remained in an emergency ward.
An investigation of the accident is continuing.
Jurong Shipyard is a subsidiary of offshore engineering group Sembcorp Marine Ltd.
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 8 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser 1 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting 43 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
8 min ago