NASA aims to send another rover to Mars in 2020
LOS ANGELES (AP) - December 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- NASA says it wants to launch another mega-rover to Mars modeled after the wildly popular Curiosity.
The space agency said Tuesday the spacecraft will be built from spare parts from Curiosity. It would also use the novel landing system that delivered the car-size rover to Mars in August.
The new mission is scheduled for 2020 and is estimated to cost about $1.5 billion. But scientists haven't hashed out exactly what the rover would try to accomplish on Mars.
NASA says it's another step toward eventually sending astronauts to the red planet in the 2030s.
nasa, space shuttle, national/world
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death 21 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos