Sheriff: Calif. handyman kidnapped, forced to work
MORGAN HILL, Calif. (AP) - December 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Northern California man and woman are accused of luring a handyman to a home, beating him and holding him against his will for about six hours while they forced him to fix a dishwasher and other appliances under threat of his life.
Jason DeJesus, 36, and Chanelle Troedson, 33, were charged with false imprisonment and other felony counts Thursday, three days after they were arrested in the attack on the 50-year-old handyman, Santa Clara County authorities said.
Sheriff's Sgt. Jose Cardoza told The Associated Press the attack followed a dispute between the handyman and a relative of DeJesus' over payment for work he'd done at the relative's house about two months ago.
The suspects lured the handyman to the home in the San Francisco Bay area city of Morgan Hill on Monday morning on the promise of receiving the money he was owed, as well as doing other work. Instead, the handyman was immediately assaulted, Cardoza said.
"He was in fear, just scared within seconds of walking in the house," the sheriff's sergeant said.
The suspects threatened and repeatedly punched the handyman, and made him repair appliances over the next roughly six hours, according to Cardoza. They then forced him into his truck, telling him they were taking him to the relative's home to complete the work he'd done there.
The handyman managed to escape and call authorities when the suspects stopped for gas in San Jose.
He had visible injuries but declined to be taken to a hospital, Cardoza said. The man's name wasn't released.
DeJesus and Troedson also were charged with kidnapping during a carjacking, kidnapping to commit robbery, battery and assault.
They were expected to be arraigned Thursday afternoon. It wasn't immediately clear if either suspect had an attorney.
california, kidnapping, hostage, national/world
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 4 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 33 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 31 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 53 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
2 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos