Theater shooting suspect asked for notebook back
CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) - December 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Attorneys for Colorado movie theater shooting suspect James Holmes called the University of Colorado four days after the attack and asked the school return a package that Holmes sent his psychiatrist, according to testimony Monday.
University of Colorado, Denver Police Chief Douglas Abraham said that the call alerted authorities to the presence of the unopened package in the campus mail room. He made the disclosure in a hearing in which defense attorneys were trying to determine who told Fox News that the package contained a notebook with writing that detailed violent plans.
Holmes' attorneys contend the disclosure violated a gag order.
Abraham and two other law enforcement officials said they didn't discuss the package with members of the media. They said it did contain a notebook and burnt U.S. currency.
Holmes sat silently during the hearing, sporting a full beard. It was first court appearance since being taken to the hospital for undisclosed reasons last month. The hearing was re-scheduled because of the incident. Several Denver media outlets reported that the hospitalization was due to the suspect banging his head against the wall of his jail cell.
Holmes is charged with killing 12 people and injuring 58 others during a shooting at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" in July.
colorado, colorado theater shooting, national/world
- More Snow on the Way 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Preparing for more snow
- Video: Tracking more snow
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school 45 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations 46 min ago
- Video: Recapping the Eagles Snow Bowl 53 min ago
- Roy Halladay retires after 16 seasons 49 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- More Snow on the Way
47 min ago