Official: Bush may leave hospital before Christmas
HOUSTON (AP) - December 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Ex-President George H.W. Bush's monthlong stay in a Houston hospital for treatment of a bronchitis-related cough appears to be nearing an end.
Bush spokesman Jim McGrath said Thursday that Bush might be released from the Methodist Hospital at the weekend and be home in time Christmas.
Hospital officials have said the 88-year-old former president is steadily improving and that he's been receiving physical therapy to increase his strength.
Bush has been in the hospital since Nov. 23. He also was in the hospital with a cough for about a week in early November.
Bush and his wife, Barbara, spend winters at their home in Houston and summers at their home in Kennebunkport, Maine.
houston, texas, national/world
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies