Passenger duct taped, restrained on flight to NYC
NEW YORK - January 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Icelandair said it had to restrain a passenger on a flight from Reykjavik to New York City because he was hitting people, screaming profanities and spitting.
Thursday's flight was getting media attention after a photograph began circulating on the Internet purporting to show the passenger tied to his seat with tape and plastic restraints.
The man who posted the picture to his Tumblr, Andy Ellwood, said it was taken by a friend on the flight.
Icelandair spokesman Gudjon Arngrimsson said the man was bound after his behavior became "unruly and threatening."
"To ensure the safety of those who were on board he was restrained by the crew and passengers and then was monitored for the duration of the flight for his own safety," he said. He said he couldn't validate the photo's authenticity but said airlines commonly carry plastic handcuffs and tape to restrain potentially dangerous passengers.
The airline said police took the man off the plane when it landed at Kennedy Airport at around 6:30 p.m.
Ron Marsico, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the airport, told reporters that police took the 46-year-old man to a hospital after determining that he was drunk. No charges were filed, he said. The passenger's name wasn't released.
Associated Press writer Cassandra Vinograd reported from London.
iceland, air travel, national/world
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 4 min ago
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 56 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 49 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack 5 min ago
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime 6 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
4 min ago
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight...
6 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
5 min ago