Alligator found guarding Calif. marijuana stash
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (AP) - January 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in California say an alligator named "Mr. Teeth" that was apparently protecting a stash of marijuana has been taken to Oakland Zoo.
When Alameda County Sheriff's investigators entered 32-year-old Assif Mayar's home on Wednesday afternoon for a probation check, they found not only 34 pounds of marijuana valued at an estimated $100,000 but also a 5-foot gator inside a tank in a bedroom.
Sgt. J.D. Nelson says Mr. Teeth was likely used to deter marijuana thieves. Mayar told investigators he got the gator to commemorate rapper Tupac Shakur's 1996 death.
He was arrested and in jail on suspicion of possessing marijuana for sale.
Officials say Mr. Teeth is very sick and being treated at the zoo's veterinary hospital.
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
14 min ago