Alligator found guarding Calif. marijuana stash
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (AP) - January 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in California say an alligator named "Mr. Teeth" that was apparently protecting a stash of marijuana has been taken to Oakland Zoo.
When Alameda County Sheriff's investigators entered 32-year-old Assif Mayar's home on Wednesday afternoon for a probation check, they found not only 34 pounds of marijuana valued at an estimated $100,000 but also a 5-foot gator inside a tank in a bedroom.
Sgt. J.D. Nelson says Mr. Teeth was likely used to deter marijuana thieves. Mayar told investigators he got the gator to commemorate rapper Tupac Shakur's 1996 death.
He was arrested and in jail on suspicion of possessing marijuana for sale.
Officials say Mr. Teeth is very sick and being treated at the zoo's veterinary hospital.
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 42 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 42 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 49 min ago
- Person injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 17 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp. 1 min ago
- NJ Transit bus crashes into building, 9 injured 4 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
42 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos