Alligator found guarding Calif. marijuana stash
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (AP) - January 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in California say an alligator named "Mr. Teeth" that was apparently protecting a stash of marijuana has been taken to Oakland Zoo.
When Alameda County Sheriff's investigators entered 32-year-old Assif Mayar's home on Wednesday afternoon for a probation check, they found not only 34 pounds of marijuana valued at an estimated $100,000 but also a 5-foot gator inside a tank in a bedroom.
Sgt. J.D. Nelson says Mr. Teeth was likely used to deter marijuana thieves. Mayar told investigators he got the gator to commemorate rapper Tupac Shakur's 1996 death.
He was arrested and in jail on suspicion of possessing marijuana for sale.
Officials say Mr. Teeth is very sick and being treated at the zoo's veterinary hospital.
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 1 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 48 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 34 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 40 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply