Arrests made in Los Angeles store hostage drama
LOS ANGELES (AP) - January 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Los Angeles have arrested suspects in connection with last week's hostage taking of 14 clothing store workers, one of whom was stabbed and another sexually assaulted.
Sgt. Dennis Beacham told The Associated Press Sunday night that the arrests have been made. He declined to elaborate, saying an official announcement would be made Monday.
But persons familiar with the investigation told the Los Angeles Times that three people had been arrested, including one on Friday and another on Saturday. The men were not identified and police did not release details.
Investigators had strong evidence linking the men to Thursday's brazen robbery, including physical evidence and security camera video, the Times said. Prosecutors will decide this week whether to file charges.
One employee was stabbed and another was sexually assaulted before the three-hour ordeal ended early Friday at the Nordstrom Rack store at a shopping center near Los Angeles International Airport.
Police officers and SWAT team members swarmed the shopping center that also has restaurants and a movie theater. Officers found most of the hostages locked in a storage room and two others in a bathroom, police said.
The employee who was stabbed was treated and released at the scene, police said.
To help identify the suspects, detectives conducted numerous witness interviews and examined surveillance video from inside and outside Nordstrom Rack as well as from surrounding businesses.
robbery, california, los angeles, national/world
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
3 min ago