Stolen train crashes into building in Sweden
STOCKHOLM - January 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman stole an empty commuter train from a depot Tuesday and drove it to a suburb of Stockholm where it derailed and slammed into an apartment building, officials said.
The woman was seriously injured in the early morning crash and was flown to a Stockholm hospital, police spokesman Lars Bystrom said. No one else was injured.
Bystrom said the woman was arrested on suspicion of endangering the public.
Tomas Hedenius, a spokesman for train operator Arriva, said the woman, born in 1990, stole the four-car train at a depot outside Stockholm.
She then drove it about a mile (1.6 kilometers) to the end station on the railway line, where it jumped off the tracks, careered for about 30 yards (25 meters) and crashed into a three-story building.
Photographs from the scene showed the crumpled front car of the train buried deep into the structure.
"There were three families inside the apartment building, but no one was injured. At least not physically," Hedenius said.
The motives of the woman, who worked for a company contracted to carry out cleaning for the train operator, were not immediately clear.
"We have only heard good things about her. We're investigating how this could happen, and why she did what she did," Hedenius said.
He said it's unclear how she got the keys to the train, but added that driving it is not that complicated.
"Generally speaking that's possible even if you're not a train driver," he said. "You can read about it on the Internet, or observe how others do it."
train accident, sweden, robbery, national/world
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 20 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos