Authorities: NM teen planned shootings at store
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in New Mexico say the teenager accused of gunning down his family over the weekend had reloaded his guns after the attacks and planned to go to a Wal-Mart and randomly shoot people.
Instead, they say 15-year-old Nehemiah Griego texted a picture of his dead mother to his 12-year-old girlfriend, then spent much of Saturday with her. The two went to the church where his father had been a pastor, and Griego eventually confessed to killing his parents and three younger siblings.
Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston says Griego had planned the attack for a week, but it's unclear if he ever actually went to a Wal-Mart or why he changed his mind. He said he had planned to randomly shoot more people, then die in a shootout with law enforcement.
Houston says Griego told detectives he also contemplated killing his girlfriend's parents.
new mexico, shooting, national/world
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia 37 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 16 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 24 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 27 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
20 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
17 min ago