Authorities: NM teen planned shootings at store
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in New Mexico say the teenager accused of gunning down his family over the weekend had reloaded his guns after the attacks and planned to go to a Wal-Mart and randomly shoot people.
Instead, they say 15-year-old Nehemiah Griego texted a picture of his dead mother to his 12-year-old girlfriend, then spent much of Saturday with her. The two went to the church where his father had been a pastor, and Griego eventually confessed to killing his parents and three younger siblings.
Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston says Griego had planned the attack for a week, but it's unclear if he ever actually went to a Wal-Mart or why he changed his mind. He said he had planned to randomly shoot more people, then die in a shootout with law enforcement.
Houston says Griego told detectives he also contemplated killing his girlfriend's parents.
new mexico, shooting, national/world
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm causes multiple accidents, delays at airport 1 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 8 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 9 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com! 5 min ago
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
56 min ago