Calif. doctor gunned down in exam room; man in custody
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (AP) - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a 75-year-old man is being held on suspicion of fatally shooting an Orange County physician in his examination room.
Newport Beach police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe identified the suspect on Tuesday as Stanwood Fred Elkus of Lake Elsinore. His bail was $1 million.
Police say Elkus shot and killed Dr. Ronald Franklin Gilbert on Monday afternoon at the medical office near Hoag Hospital. Gilbert, a 52-year-old Huntington Beach resident, was a urologist.
Police say as many as seven shots were fired, but no motive was released.
Becky Calderwood said she works two doors down from the office where the shooting took place, and said the gunman was a patient.
"I sit right at the front desk, I would have caught the first bullet," Calderwood told the Times.
No one else was injured or targeted, Lowe said. "It does appear to be an isolated incident," she said.
Detectives were interviewing employees and patients in the building.
Kristen Cotty, who works as an office supervisor at a lab one floor above, said she thought the gunfire was construction noises.
"What's going on with the world today?" she told the Orange County Register. "I mean, schools, now I got to worry about going to work. This has got to stop."
shooting, california, national/world
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 53 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92 26 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
53 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos