Death toll in Brazil fire raised to 234
SANTA MARIA, Brazil (AP) - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A state forensics department has raised the death toll from a nightclub fire in Brazil to 234 people.
Local authorities earlier said 231 people died in the blaze, but the Rio Grande do Sul state raised the number Tuesday to account for three additional victims whose names didn't appear on the original list.
One of the victims had originally been confused with another person with a similar name. Another was identified early Sunday but didn't appear on a previous list.
The blaze broke out early Sunday at a packed nightclub in Santa Maria, a college town of about 260,000 in southern Brazil. Police say early investigations point to pyrotechnics used by a band as the likely cause of the fire.
Most of the victims died from smoke inhalation. More than 122 injured people remain hospitalized.
brazil, fire, national/world
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 20 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 6 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 11 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
6 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
20 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos