Death toll in Brazil fire raised to 234
SANTA MARIA, Brazil (AP) - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A state forensics department has raised the death toll from a nightclub fire in Brazil to 234 people.
Local authorities earlier said 231 people died in the blaze, but the Rio Grande do Sul state raised the number Tuesday to account for three additional victims whose names didn't appear on the original list.
One of the victims had originally been confused with another person with a similar name. Another was identified early Sunday but didn't appear on a previous list.
The blaze broke out early Sunday at a packed nightclub in Santa Maria, a college town of about 260,000 in southern Brazil. Police say early investigations point to pyrotechnics used by a band as the likely cause of the fire.
Most of the victims died from smoke inhalation. More than 122 injured people remain hospitalized.
brazil, fire, national/world
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 18 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge 25 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 44 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer 48 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
18 min ago