Strong earthquake rattles southern Alaska
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - January 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- A strong earthquake shook southeastern Alaska early Thursday, but there was no danger of a tsunami and no early reports of any damage, officials said.
The magnitude 6.0 quake struck shortly before 1 a.m. and was centered in the ocean, about 200 miles south of the capital, Juneau, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The Tsunami Warning Center said there was no danger of a tsunami.
The quake was widely felt across the region, but the Alaska Earthquake Information Center said it had no immediate reports of any damage.
The police dispatch office in the coastal town of Craig, 60 miles east of the epicenter, said the quake was felt but it had received no calls about damage or other problems.
Still, the USGS said the quake was strong enough to have an effect.
"There might be slight cracks in windows or walls or foundations, but not something where you would expect major devastation," said USGS geophysicist Amy Vaughan. "Certainly things might have been rattled off walls or off countertops or out of cabinets."
The center says the quake is an aftershock to a magnitude 7.5 temblor that struck on Jan. 4. That quake sparked a tsunami warning for hundreds of miles along the Alaska and Canadian coasts, but it was cancelled after a few hours when no damaging waves were generated.
The Broadcast News Center in Washington contributed to this report.
earthquake, alaska, national/world
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 59 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 14 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 7 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 21 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 51 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
59 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
21 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
51 min ago