Feds: Killer of 2 NYC officers impregnated guard
NEW YORK (AP) - February 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A federal prison guard had an illegal affair with an inmate convicted in one of New York's most notorious police killings and is pregnant with his child, according to court papers filed Tuesday.
Nancy Gonzalez, 29, was arrested Tuesday on charges she intentionally engaged in a sex act with Ronell Wilson while working the night shift at the Metropolitan Detention Center. She became pregnant in June, a few months into the affair, according to court papers.
Wilson was a young gang member when he was convicted in the point-blank shootings of two undercover officers in an illegal gun sting gone awry.
"I took a chance because I was so vulnerable and wanted to be loved and now I am carrying his child," Gonzalez said, according to court papers.
It wasn't clear if she had an attorney. She was scheduled to appear in federal court in Brooklyn later Tuesday.
Wilson was sentenced to death in the killing of two undercover officers, but the sentence was thrown out in 2010 by an appeals court.
A new jury must decide his fate. But replay of the trial's penalty phase has been put off as Wilson's lawyers seek to convince a judge that he's ineligible for the death penalty because he's mentally disabled.
new york city, national/world
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish