Coach shoots teen during robbery near Mich. school
DETROIT (AP) - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 70-year-old high school basketball coach shot and killed one teenager and wounded a second as they attempted to rob him outside the school, Detroit police said.
Ernest Robinson, an assistant girls' basketball coach at Martin Luther King Jr. High School, was accosted by two males Friday evening while walking two members of the girls' team outside King High, said Officer Cassandra Lewis, a police spokeswoman.
"They announced a robbery, a struggle ensued and he pulled a weapon and fired," said Lewis, who added that Robinson is a reserve police officer and licensed to carry a concealed pistol.
Michael Scott, a 16-year-old ninth-grader at the east side school, was shot and killed, according to Steve Wasko, a spokesman for Detroit Public Schools.
A 15-year-old male was wounded. His name was not released.
Detroit police homicide investigators submitted a warrant request this week to the Wayne County prosecutor's office. Prosecutors were reviewing the case Wednesday to determine whether to file charges, spokesman Mark Bernardi said.
Scott's mother has told reporters that her son did not have a gun.
"I lost my son and I want answers," Priscilla Scott said.
michigan, shooting, national/world
- Search for missing college student from Skippack
- Mostly cloudy, humid today 41 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 7 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Deptford Township house fire ruled as arson 2 min ago
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township 45 min ago
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing 46 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County 20 min ago
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
7 min ago
- Deptford Township house fire ruled as arson
2 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos