1865 baseball card fetches $92K in Maine auction
BIDDEFORD, Maine (AP) - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A rare 148-year-old baseball card discovered at a rural Maine yard sale has been auctioned for $92,000.
Troy Thibodeau, manager and auctioneer at Saco River Auction Co. in Biddeford, said the card depicting the Brooklyn Atlantics amateur baseball club drew plenty of interest Wednesday night. It starting with an opening bid of $10,000 and quickly rose to the final $92,000, which included an 18-percent premium.
The name of the buyer was not released.
The card isn't the same as a modern-day baseball card, which became common in the 1880s. Rather, it's an original photograph from 1865 mounted on a card, showing nine players and a manager.
The Library of Congress said last month it was aware of only two copies of the photo. The other is in the institution's collection.
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Witnesses: Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized