1865 baseball card fetches $92K in Maine auction
BIDDEFORD, Maine (AP) - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A rare 148-year-old baseball card discovered at a rural Maine yard sale has been auctioned for $92,000.
Troy Thibodeau, manager and auctioneer at Saco River Auction Co. in Biddeford, said the card depicting the Brooklyn Atlantics amateur baseball club drew plenty of interest Wednesday night. It starting with an opening bid of $10,000 and quickly rose to the final $92,000, which included an 18-percent premium.
The name of the buyer was not released.
The card isn't the same as a modern-day baseball card, which became common in the 1880s. Rather, it's an original photograph from 1865 mounted on a card, showing nine players and a manager.
The Library of Congress said last month it was aware of only two copies of the photo. The other is in the institution's collection.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing 59 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still...
59 min ago