1865 baseball card fetches $92K in Maine auction
BIDDEFORD, Maine (AP) - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A rare 148-year-old baseball card discovered at a rural Maine yard sale has been auctioned for $92,000.
Troy Thibodeau, manager and auctioneer at Saco River Auction Co. in Biddeford, said the card depicting the Brooklyn Atlantics amateur baseball club drew plenty of interest Wednesday night. It starting with an opening bid of $10,000 and quickly rose to the final $92,000, which included an 18-percent premium.
The name of the buyer was not released.
The card isn't the same as a modern-day baseball card, which became common in the 1880s. Rather, it's an original photograph from 1865 mounted on a card, showing nine players and a manager.
The Library of Congress said last month it was aware of only two copies of the photo. The other is in the institution's collection.
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 14 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 40 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 5 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue 42 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 13 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
32 min ago
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
14 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
10 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City...
42 min ago