Police: At least 51 killed in Zambia in bus crash
LUSAKA, Zambia (AP) - February 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Zambia say at least 51 people have been killed after a bus crashed into a semi-truck north of the country's capital of Lusaka.
Police spokeswoman Elizabeth Kanjela said the crash happened Thursday morning at Chifamba, a town about 100 kilometers (62 miles) north of Lusaka.
Kanjela said the crash involved a bus run by Zambia's postal service, which provides passenger service on buses that also carry the country's mail. She said police were still investigating the crash and that bodies may still be inside the wreckage.
It wasn't immediately clear what the cause of the crash was, though it happened on a two-lane highway known for having high traffic, even during the night.
africa, accident, national/world
- New sighting reported of missing student's car 36 min ago
- Mostly cloudy, humid today 31 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 27 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Victim ID'd in Deptford Township arson 34 min ago
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms 39 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Sea Lion Worried About Little Girl
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
31 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
27 min ago
- New sighting reported of missing student's...
36 min ago
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms
39 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos