Nazi salute lands Maine girls in hot water
CUMBERLAND, Maine (AP) - February 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Members of a Maine high school girls' basketball team have been disciplined after a picture surfaced online of team members giving a Nazi salute.
The principal and athletic director at Greely High School in Cumberland said in a letter to parents that two girls appear to be giving the Adolf Hitler-style salute while a third girls sits between them. They say one team member has been nicknamed Hitler. All three girls are wearing their basketball uniforms.
The letter says "whether done in ignorance or with hate," such behavior is "simply unacceptable."
The Portland Press Herald reports the letter also said other "inappropriate and biased language" was used by team members.
Principal Dan McKeone says players have been disciplined, but he didn't disclose the exact nature of the punishment.
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies