Bush family emails, photos apparently hacked
HOUSTON (AP) - February 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A criminal investigation is under way after a hacker apparently accessed private photos and emails sent between members of the Bush family, including both former presidents.
The Houston Chronicle reports that a spokesman for former President George H.W. Bush declined to comment on a report on The Smoking Gun website detailing the alleged security breach.
Bush spokesman Jim McGrath told the Chronicle the matter is "under criminal investigation." McGrath did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment by The Associated Press early Friday.
The Smoking Gun says the hacker went by the online moniker "Guccifer," a word plastered across the leaked photos in translucent, neon blue print.
The website quotes "Guccifer" as describing himself as a veteran hacker who has long been in the government's sights.
george w bush, texas, national/world
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed