2 in custody in fatal shooting of Chicago teen performer
CHICAGO (AP) - February 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two men were taken into custody Sunday as "persons of interest" in the fatal shooting of a 15-year-old Chicago girl, a Chicago police spokeswoman said.
Chicago Police Department spokeswoman Melissa Stratton said the two men, ages 18 and 20, were taken into custody early Sunday morning and are being questioned. She said no charges have been filed.
The development comes one day after Hadiya Pendleton's funeral, which was attended by first lady Michelle Obama and several other dignitaries.
Pendleton was shot to death Jan. 29 in a park that is about a mile from President Barack Obama's home on the city's South Side. Police have said Pendleton was an innocent victim in a gang-related shooting.
Just days before her death, the band majorette was among the performers during events for Obama's inauguration.
Her slaying brought new attention to Chicago's homicide rate, and came in a January that was the city's deadliest in a decade. In 2012, Chicago recorded 506 homicides.
Among the other dignitaries at Saturday's funeral were Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn, U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush.
michelle obama, shooting, chicago, national/world
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 55 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 47 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 51 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 40 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
42 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
57 min ago