Md. police trainee remains critical after shooting
BALTIMORE (AP) - February 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Baltimore police commissioner has suspended some training academy staff after a campus police trainee was accidentally shot in the head by an instructor.
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says authorities are continuing to investigate Tuesday's shooting, which occurred during a training exercise in Baltimore County. All training academy operations have also been suspended.
Guglielmi says the investigation is focusing on how the instructor came to discharge live ammunition, though one theory is that he picked up the wrong gun. He says police officials are also trying to figure out who authorized the training session because the location where the shooting occurred isn't one of the normal sites used by the department.
The victim, who was training for the University of Maryland, Baltimore campus police, remained in critical condition Wednesday.
baltimore, police, shooting, national/world
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville 57 min ago
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight 19 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase 35 min ago
- Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma; no injuries reported 24 min ago
- Teen killed over iPad in Las Vegas, 2 suspects arrested 36 min ago
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County 55 min ago
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Phillies rally for 3-2 over Reds
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
- Search for missing college student from...
57 min ago
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
55 min ago