2 wounded in shooting outside SC courthouse
CHESTERFIELD, S.C. (AP) - February 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man involved in paternity dispute opened fire Wednesday in front of a South Carolina courthouse, wounding a woman and her stepfather, then led police on a 12-mile chase before he was caught, a sheriff said.
Suspect Curtis Gorny and 21-year-old Olivia Weaver were at the Chesterfield County courthouse for a paternity test and at about 12:30 p.m., Weaver was shot in the face and torso, said Sheriff Sam Parker. The child was not with her mother. Her stepfather, Donnie Nolan, was also wounded. The conditions of the victims were not known but Parker was taken to the hospital.
Parker says Gorny fled from officers, firing from his vehicle before he was forced into a ditch.
The shooting comes just two days after a man authorities say was involved in a bitter family custody battle fatally shot his ex-daughter-in-law and another woman at a Delaware courthouse and killed himself.
Gorny, who is in his 50s, claimed to be the father of Parker's baby and was at the courthouse for a DNA test, the sheriff said.
Security at the courthouse saw the shooting and called in a description of Gorny's vehicle. Deputies spotted him a few minutes later.
Investigators are still reviewing what happened to determine what charges to file, Parker said.
shooting, south carolina, national/world
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup 43 min ago
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Finding the perfect bra